The best ankle ice wrap or pack is one that can aid in relieving any ankle issues you may have, while not providing any additional discomfort. Ankle injuries could be acute in the form of sprains or other short-term injuries, or more long-term like surgery rehab. You may also want to perform cold therapy on your ankle to relieve everyday stresses if you stand at work or walk a lot during the day.
Another popular reason to ice or wrap the ankle is to provide athletic therapy. If you’re an athlete of any sort then you surely stress your ankles through running, cycling, jumping, and general movements throughout the day. Icing and compressing your injuries can help relieve pain and reduce inflammation all while decreasing your recovery time and getting you ready for your next session.
The aim of this article is to provide you with accurate and up to date reviews of the best ankle ice wrap and pack options out there so you can get the cold therapy you need. I’ll also write a small section on which types of ankle packs and wraps I recommend for different needs (there are different types). The final piece of the puzzle is learning how to properly perform ice therapy on your ankles – don’t overlook this!
Best Ankle Ice Wrap & Pack Reviews
I love the entire Polar Ice wrap/pack therapy line for a few reasons. Their products are reliable, they design them to stay tightly affixed to your body, and their price is more than reasonable. Now if you’ve checked out any ice wrap products – you’ll notice that with higher prices you’re generally paying for a higher-quality material, and therefore better compression. That brings me to the only downside of the Polar Ice option, the compression is not the highest on this list. However, for general use and light ice-therapy the Polar Ice ankle wrap is a great option performance and price wise. Unlike every other wrap/pack on this list, this one also covers the foot which can be useful when treating plantar fasciitis or other foot/ankle combination injuries.
- Great for post-surgery rehab, minor injuries, and light every-day use
- Coated with fleece to keep your skin safe, and you comfortable
- Affixes to the ankle to hit the target area with cold therapy
- Covers the ankle AND FOOT – this is an important option to take note of.
- Great overall ice pack and easy on the wallet at around $20
- Our rating (3.5 / 5) – best overall ankle/foot ice wrap!
- Check it out here on Amazon!
Now this is my budget pick for the ankle wrap and pack options. The Mueller Hot and Cold wrap is a very basic wrap that holds a cold pack in place on your ankle. Coming in at around $10 this item is priced really nicely for what it does. I would recommend this ankle wrap for light therapy after long days of work, or treating minor injuries like a sprain. This wrap is also a bit more multi-purpose than the rest as you can affix an ice wrap to any part of your body with it – the shape is not specific to the foot.
- Good for every-day use treating work/life aches
- Great budget option for an ice wrap at around $10
- Able to use on more body parts than just your ankle
- It’s a basic wrap but it gets the job done, great to keep around the house
- Our rating (3 / 5) – best ankle ice wrap/pack on a budget!
- Check it out on Amazon here
Bringing out the big guns we have the O2 cold and compression ankle wrap – this sucker has a hand pump that allows you to increase the compression of the ankle wrap to provide intense cold therapy. The combination of ice and pressure can work even quicker to relieve major injuries, aid in post-surgery rehab, and provide therapy+reduce recovery time for athletes. This product really isn’t that much more expensive than the Polar Ice option at around $30 and I think it provides the most intense ice therapy on this list of ankle wraps.
- Provides the best compression for intense ice therapy
- Gentle on your skin with the anti-frostbite cover
- Pump it up to get the best effect
- Our rating (4 / 5) – best ankle ice wrap for intense compression
- Check it out on Amazon here
This wrap is the most expensive on the list for a few reasons. Aside from the O2 cold and compression wrap, this wrap also provides excellent compression to the ankle and surrounding areas. The reason why I included this variation is because its pressure comes from two adjustable straps. I like having the option to change exactly where the pressure is applied and this wrap allows exactly that. I also like how rigid this model is in comparison to the O2 wrap because if you have a severe injury/rehab case or you’re doing athletic therapy and you want to keep the ankle as still as possible to rest then this is perfect for that.
- Most solid/rigid construction out of all the ankle wraps
- Adjustable compression with two heavy-duty straps
- You have the option to choose between using 1-4 gel packs to target the ice therapy
- Made with neoprene for comfort and durability – it’ll never lose its compression
- Our rating (4 / 5) – best ankle ice wrap for rehab and athletes
- Check it out on Amazon here
How to pick the best ankle ice wrap or pack for your needs
So you’ve been presented with what I think are the four best ankle wraps for ice therapy out there, and maybe you’re still not sure what you need. When I do reviews like this I try to only use products I’ve used before, and also try to keep the list as small as possible rather than just rattling off a bunch of options I’ve never tried before. So here’s some additional insights and scenarios that maybe you can align with to help you pick one.
- For general usage on every-day aches and pains – Get the Polar Ice wrap, or the Mueller wrap if you’re on a budget. This is a light compression option that provides light-medium compression but you won’t need it for general usage.
- IF you want to target the ankle AND foot – Get the Polar Ice wrap, this is the only one on the list that targets both areas.
- For the quickest relief and intense ice therapy – Here I go for the O2 compression wrap, the high-level of compression is great for relief and comfortable to wear. It’s also cheaper than the Shock Doctor wrap.
- For high-level athletes and surgery rehab – The reason why I suggest it specifically for these two reasons is because the tight wrap and rigid construction allows you to keep the ankle perfectly still while you rest. This provides a great level of relief and also decreases recovery times for both injuries and athletes looking to bounce back fast.
How to properly use your ankle ice wrap and pack
It’s important to know how to properly perform ice therapy on your body, as doing it improperly can be dangerous. Follow these tips to effectively ice your body:
- Ice in 15 minute segments with 1 hour breaks in between to thaw out the body part
- Resting, and elevating can also aid in relief
- Ice therapy shouldn’t be uncomfortable, and ice should never come in direct contact with the skin
- Don’t compress your ankle/body so much that it’s painful
- Always consult your doctor before icing
Thanks for reading, and I hope that these ankle ice pack and wrap reviews help you to A) pick the right ankle wrap for you, and B) help you perform effective ice therapy on your body to solve your everyday aches, rehab your injuries, and bounce back as fast as possible as an athlete. There are also really great options out there to wrap almost every other body part:
- Shoulder ice wrap reviews (a life saver for those working on the computer)
- Knee ice wrap guide (my favorite after any form of athletics, provides great relief)