The best compression socks are good for people who have to stand for long periods of time and want to ease leg pain and swelling.
Athletes use them to help their muscles recover faster. Pregnant women use them to help with their discomfort.
What Are Compression Socks Used for?
Compression socks are made differently than regular socks. They are tight but stretchy and gently squeezes your leg.
The best compression socks can lessen the pain and swelling of your legs. They do all this by improving blood flow.
Blood moving smoothly is good because when they can’t move, blood can pool in your veins and clot. If one of these clots escapes, it could get stuck anywhere in your body such as your lungs, which can cause a danger to you.
Clots also make it harder for blood to flow causing swelling, discolored skin, and other problems.
Compression Sock Ratings
Before you buy any compression socks, you should check out their compression rating. How the ratings are measured is in mmHg which stands for millimeters of mercury. This is a measurement of pressure.
Over the Counter 15-20 mmHg
These are often the socks that you can get anywhere. They are mildly squeezing, helping with swelling and tired legs. They can come in knee high, thigh high, pantyhose, and maternity pantyhose styles.
People use these for sports, traveling, and working.
Medical Grade Class 1 20-30 mmHg
These are stronger than the over-the-counter socks but aren’t too strong to be painful. They are good for spider veins, varicose veins, travel, sports, and after certain surgeries.
Pregnant women also find them helpful to get rid of the heaviness, swelling, and aching in their legs.
They come in knee-high, thigh-high, pantyhose, and maternity pantyhose styles.
Medical Grade Class 2 30-40 mmHg
These are for those with leg problems that are moderate or severe. They are often used when you have a blood clot or DVT.
You will need a more durable material for this class because of the amount of compression they give. Sheer stockings tend to develop holes pretty quickly.
Medical Grade Class 3 20-50 mmHg
The final class is very strong and you absolutely have to consult your doctor before using this level of compression.
They are used for severe venous stasis, wound management, and lymphedema.
How We Chose Our Ratings
We want to make sure that we found the best of the best compression socks. We want to do this so you don’t have to do too much research yourself.
We chose our ratings by looking at Amazon reviews. We thought it's best to check with the people who had bought them and tried them. It’s easy for companies to say they are best but it’s hard to prove it until you try.
We may as well listen to the people who've tried them.
10 Best Compression Socks for Both Men and Women
We wanted to include socks for both men and women. Often, articles only include one or the other which doesn’t seem fair. All these socks can be bought through Amazon.
- BEWARE!! -ONLY BUY FROM SOCKSLANE, ALL OTHER SELER WILL SEND YOU A FAKE PRODUCT! - THE FIT YOU'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR:...
- DESIGNED WITH YOU IN MIND: Our circulation socks are more than just a solution to relieve edema, achy legs and reduce...
- PROGRESSIVE STRETCH TECHNOLOGY: These non-binding, supportive socks stay up, and fit perfectly all day long, neither too...
These socks are rather simple. They come in 7 options, most them plain. These are good for people who want the best compression socks that can blend in easily.
Because they are made mostly of cotton, they are hypoallergenic and breathable. There is an extra large cuff to keep the socks up without being constricting. These antibacterial socks should also help with foot odor.
They have a compression rating of 15-20 mmHg.
They have a 4.8-star rating and over 600 reviews. The pos include how soft they are, its padded sole, and the power of its compression.
One of the cons is that if you buy a patterned pair, the patterns may dig into your skin. Some people also felt that the socks were too tight.
- FINALLY - COMPRESSION SOCKS THAT FIT JUST RIGHT - Tired of wasting money on overpriced compression socks that just...
- IMPROVED BLOOD CIRCULATION WITH GRADUATED COMPRESSION - Our graduation compression technology (20-30mmHg) provides the...
- #1 RECOMMENDED DESIGN: PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION AND COMFORT - Our graduated compression socks (20-30 mmHg) are recommended...
These socks come in 11 different options with both solid colors and patterns. They have a graduated compression in the 20-30 mmHg rating.
They have a reinforced cushioned heel and toe support. They are form-fitting, lightweight, and breathable. The fabric is also anti-odor and anti-static.
You can use them for travel, sports, and for everyday use.
These socks have a 4.7-star rating and over 4,500 reviews. People love these socks for the ease of getting them on, the comfort they give, and the fact that they don’t roll down. Many of the people that loved them were on their feet for more than 12 hours.
A few complaints include the really prominent logo in tough spots, like the top of the band and on toes. Some people didn’t like that these socks didn’t look like regular socks. The other complaint is about the material. Some people feel it’s not as soft as it could be, others hated that the material seemed to pick up everything.
- STYLE AND CONFIDENCE ON YOUR LEGS - Finally! A Durable Compression Sock designed to last, without compromising quality...
- BECAUSE PUSHING YOURSELF THAT EXTRA MILE MATTERS! Get your blood circulating in style! Great for relief of varicose...
- TAKE YOUR GAME TO THE NEXT LEVEL - Comfortable material and careful construction. No stitches in places where they'll...
There are 9 options for this pair of socks. They have a compression rating of 20-30 mmHg. The material is lightweight and made of antibacterial fabric. They are supposed to be able to be washed without losing any compression.
These socks have a 4.7-star rating and over 8,000 reviews. People are loving these socks. They can’t believe how well they work. They are especially great with people who have larger than average calves.
Other people felt that they were too tight and the sizing was off. Many people looked at the chart and the socks were either too big in the feet or too tight at the band. There have been complaints of the material tearing as well.
This is a value deal, getting a whole week’s worth of socks for the price of one from other companies. These socks are plain and more about being used than looking good. You can choose from 6 different assortments. Colors are in the neutral family — black, white, and tan.
Their compression rating is 15-20 mmHg. The fabric is breathable and flexible to ensure comfort. It helps regulate temperature, and fights odor and bacteria.
They have a 4.5-star rating with over 700 reviews. Pros include the price, how comfortable they are, and how well they compress. Cons are that for some people, they actually didn’t compress at all. They felt more like regular socks.
- COPPER COMPRESSION SOCKS - Copper is a great conductor of electricity, we extended its natural property to rejuvenate...
- REDUCE INJURIES - Provide mild squeezing for warmness and enhance blood moving through your legs. Remove stress and...
- UNIQUE MATERIAL: Our products feature a unique copper-infused, breathable, moisture-wicking fabric that stays warm in...
These socks come in 6 different assortments. There are some plain simple colors like black and white, and some with fun colors like pink and green.
They actually use copper in their socks. The company claims that the natural properties of copper rejuvenate blood circulation in your legs. The copper fibers are capable of reviving blood circulation.
They are in the 15-20 mmHg rating. The fabric is breathable and moisture wicking. Apparently the copper fiber is supposed to get rid of foot odor as well.
These socks have a 4.4-star rating and over 700 reviews. Highlights are how comfortable they are. There is good stitching around the toes that make them more comfortable. People like that they look like regular socks and blend in with anything.
Lowlights include the fact that many people felt they didn’t give enough compression. Knowing whether the socks are to be blamed or the people just need a higher compression rating sock is hard to say. Some people also felt that the material was too thin.
- COMPRESSION SOCKS - At times, Compression socks are viewed as medicinal products. We intend allay this myth by combining...
- COMFORT - We carefully designed and manufactured our compression socks to provide premium support, comfort, and relief...
- EFFECTIVE - Our compression socks (15-20 mmHg) are recommended by doctors and preferred by trainers. Help relieve pain &...
This 3 packs of socks come in 6 different options. Mostly in the neutral range with colors like black, white, tan, and gray. They have a 15-20 mmHg compression rating.
Their fabric is breathable and lightweight. It’s also fairly stretchy due to being mostly made of nylon.
They have a 4.4 star rating. People like them because of how comfortable they are and the fact that they don’t look like compression socks. Fit seems to be issue, they are unisex so they may not be designed to fit as well as individual-gendered socks. People complained about how long they are and the amount of space in the toe area.
- SUPPORT THAT RELIVES PAIN - AprilTex lightweight ted hose stockings generate mild compression that improves blood...
- TREMENDOUSLY SOFT & NOT IRRITATING - Our premium FDA approved knee-high compression sleeves are made from 60%...
- EFFECTIVE COMPRESSION FOR EFFECTIVE RECOVERY - With the ideal 17-22 mmHg graduate compression, you'll get THE BEST...
These socks come in 7 different options. Most are neutral with solid colors like black, white, and tan. There are a few fun colors sprinkled in though. This company boasts that they make such fashionable socks that you can even forget you are wearing a medical device.
The socks are form-fitting, lightweight, and breathable. The fabric has moisture wicking properties to reduce bacteria and fungus growth.
Their compression rating is 15-20 mmHg. They also deliver 360 degree stretch for flexibility and comfort.
These 3 packs of socks have a 4.4 star rating with over 1,000 reviews. People love these socks for their fit and how their swelling has gone down significantly. People have worn them for over 12 hours and still feel great.
There are reviews from people that didn’t like the material and felt these made their feet sweat too much.
- Nurse Mates Pink Ribbon Compression Trouser Socks
- 87% Nylon / 13% Spandex
- This is a graduated 12-14 mmHG Compression knee high with Pink Ribbon pattern.
These socks come in 32 different fun styles. Unlike many of the socks on this list, they include bright colors and fun patterns. Their compression rating is 12-14 mmHg.
They use a soft microfiber blend to ensure comfort and durability.
They have a 4.4 rating with over 2,000 reviews. Highlights include the ability to stretch over different sized calves, the colors and patterns, and that wearers can be comfortable in them for over 12 hours. Lowlights are that they may fall a bit and you will have to adjust them. Some people also felt that they didn’t compress enough.
- GRADUATED COMPRESSION (20 - 30 mmHg) & FASTER MUSCLE RECOVER - Better Blood Circulation as strongest compression happens...
- BEST VALUE PACKAGE: You get a HIGH QUALITY pair of compression socks AND a FREE BONUS E-BOOK (entitled "Let's Play...
- SILVER YARN ANTI-BACTERIA FABRIC - Helps regulate temperature by keeping you warm when cold, and cool when hot
These socks offer a large selection of choices. There are over 30 of them. Some are solid colors, but there a lot more options for patterns.
They have a compression rating of 20-30 mmHg. They have silver yarn embedded in the fabric that’s antibacterial. It also helps with regulating temperature.
The material is breathable and moisture-wicking. You should be able to wear them all day comfortably.
These socks have a 4.2-star rating and over 2,000 reviews. Pros are the fun designs, how much it has helped with swelling, and the prices. Many people really liked all the fun patterns and how they didn’t look like compression socks.
Cons are that they might not fit well for anyone that has thick calves. People also say that the foot sizing is huge compared to the size they bought. For them the foot part of the sock was too long.
- 20-30 MMHG COMPRESSION SOCKS: Do you end your work day or workout with tired and fatigued legs? Our socks reduce...
- IMPROVE YOUR STEP: With extra cushion underfoot, our socks are the best compression socks for athletes, runners, nurses...
- BLAZE A TRIAL: We have a wide variety of fun colors and designs! We offer 1 and 2 packs. Get ready to receive a lot of...
These socks come in a variety of fun colors and patterns. In fact, you get to choose from 35 options. They have a compression rating of 20-30 mmHg.
They feature a padded foot and breathable fabric. The material will also fight against odor and bacteria.
These socks have a 4.2-star rating with over 1,000 reviews. People love them for how cute they are and how comfortable they are. Many reviewers wore them for over 12 hours and were still comfortable.
People are disappointed in the fit. Apparently, the foot section can be large, while the top cuff is too small.
These are good for people who want the best compression socks that can blend in easily.
These socks come in 11 different options with both solid colors and patterns.
There are 9 options for this pair of socks.
This is a value deal, getting a whole week’s worth of socks for the price of one from other companies.
These socks come in 6 different assortments.
This 3 packs of socks come in 6 different options.
Most are neutral with solid colors like black, white, and tan.
These socks come in 32 different fun styles.
These socks offer a large selection of choices.
These socks come in a variety of fun colors and patterns.
The thing with buying any clothes online is that it’s always a luck of the draw. The best you can do is read the reviews and look at the sizing charts. Take the time to measure your body so you have the best chance to get what you are looking for.
Please talk to your doctor before buying the best compression socks. They work for a lot of people but there are some people that it could hurt. Plus, your doctor will tell you how much compression you need.