Third world squat is a term gaining popularity for remaining stationary in the full squat position. Regularly performing third world squats will improve your squat form and you can do it pretty much anywhere, alongside reaping the squatting benefits.
Keep in mind – This is something that needs to be eased into to, you won’t be able to achieve the optimal stance overnight if you have poor flexibility and strength. But the more you work at it, the easier it will become. Remaining in a full squat position simulates the natural stance that was most comfortable to us before we became accustomed to chairs. Babies and young children are often seen like this:
The key points of perfect squat form are:
- Straight and strong lumbar back (lower back)
- Crease of hips below top of knees
- Toes pointed slightly outward
- Knees positioned over top of toes (they can extend beyond)
- Weight on heels
- Feet at least shoulder width apart, this will reduce the amount of stress on your shoulders and lower back
3rd world squat benefits
Squatting every day for an increasing amount of time will improve your squat form, core strength, and all of the related leg muscles.
- Improve flexibility and range of motion
- Increase circulation throughout entire body
- Gain Better balance
- Prevent injuries
- Strengthen joints
- Building muscle – this stance will engage all of the muscles used in a full squat
What muscles do squats target?
And if you’re wondering what muscles squats target, the answer is pretty much all of the lower body and the core!
- Lower back
So what are you waiting for? Start third world squatting right now. This simple act which requires no equipment can work to improve your overall health, and the squat-specific movement for training. Regain that lost mobility in your hips, ankles, joints and strengthen your body in this primal position.
See which tasks throughout your day that you could start squatting while doing. Often times and hence the name “third world squatting” you will see people from countries outside of North America squatting while working, cooking, reading, and yep going to the bathroom. If you can squat while folding laundry, reading, or even knitting – try it out. See how many stationary positions in your day you could replace with this wonderful exercise to improve your bodily health and function.
A few more tips
Of course before performing any of these movements, please consult your physician. You will need to strengthen your muscles, joints, core, and willpower to achieve an extended and comfortable third world squat – but it’s worth it. Take this process of sitting in your squat position slowly and if you experience any pain stop.
Summary on how to get started
- Read the above guide on squat form
- Try to get as deep into your squat and stay there as long as possible each day
- As you strengthen your muscles, improve your balance and become more flexible you will be able to hold the position longer each day
- Once you’re comfortable in the position, you can perform it regularly for tasks and as you see fit to continue improving strength and flexibility
- Use self-massage tools like foam rollers, and massage balls to improve your mobility so you can squat deeper for longer more comfortably.
Thanks for reading!Find Mobility Guardian on Google+